We look forward to seeing you all at the 2019 Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference! This year, the conference will be held in Seattle, Washington, from March 13 – 17, 2019.
Below is a list of video game studies-related panels as well as VGSSIG programs and events planned for this upcoming conference.
A few notes about the list below:
- VGSSIG Sponsored panels are noted with a star (★).
- All panels in bold are video game studies panels where all papers will be speaking about video games.
- Panels with one or two video-game-studies related papers are italicized.
- VGSSIG socials, meetings, and events are highlighted in pink.
Wednesday, March 13
- A17, 12pm – 1:45pm: The Franchise Era: Managing Media in the Digital Economy
- A20, 12pm – 1:45pm: Leaving the Movie Theater: New International and Intermedial Approaches to Film Exhibition
- B13, 2pm – 3:45pm: Video Games and Screencasts: Command, Control and Commodification
- C5, 4pm – 5:45pm: Indigenous Perspectives Across Media
- C17, 4pm – 5:45pm: Propped Up: Fan Cultures and Fabricated Objects
Thursday, March 14
- E2, 9:15am – 11am: Self and Society in Video Games
- ★ F2, 11:15am – 1pm: Gaming on and Beyond Screens
- G2, 1:15pm – 3pm: Contemporary Video Game Cultures and Textual Identity Formation
- ★ H2, 3:15pm – 5pm: Women in Video Games: Some Histories
- H12, 3:15pm – 5pm: Roundtable: Digital Processes and Racial Formations, Redux
- ★ I2, 5:15pm – 7pm: Monstrous Representations: The Politics of Monsters in Video Games
Friday, March 15
- J9, 9am – 10:45am: Hierarchies of Connectivity in Video Games
- J20, 9am – 10:45am: Workshop: Playing with Game Studies: A Pedagogy Workshop
- ★ K9, 11am – 12:45pm: Gaming Bodies: Corporealities of Streaming, Disability, and Play
- ★ L1, 1pm – 2:45pm: The End of Queerness: Confronting Queer Loss, Erasure, Disavowal, and Death in Video games
- L9, 1pm – 2:45pm: Video Games as Speculative Systems
- L13, 1pm – 2:45pm: The Conventions of Conventions: A Cross-Media Exploration of Media Industry Conventions, Festivals, and Intermediaries
- ★ M9, 3pm – 4:45pm: Old, Ugly, and Broken: Small Game Aesthetics, Politics, and Production
- M15, 3pm – 4:45pm: Women Working in and Across Media
Saturday, March 16
- O1, 11:45am – 1:30pm: Parody, Pastiche, and Play: Performing Queerness in Digital Media Cultures
- O9, 11:45am – 1:30pm: Gaming: Inside and Out
- O11, 11:45am – 1:30pm: Media’s Odd Jobs and Invisible Labor
- P2, 1:45pm – 3:30pm: Virtual Reality and Politics of Time, Space, and Memory
- P9, 1:45am – 3:30pm: Neural Media: On Neural Networks and New Data Practices
- P18, 1:45pm – 3:30pm: Conspiracies and Fake News: How’d We get to the Current Moment?
- 1:45pm – 3:30pm: Book Launch for How to Play Video Games, edited by Matthew Thomas Payne and Nina B. Huntemann & Video Games Have Always Been Queer by Bonnie “Bo” Ruberg in the Metropolitan Ballroom, NYU Press Table
- ★ Q3, 3:45pm – 5:40pm: Do What Xi Says? ; Responses of Chinese Film and Gaming Industries to Xi Jinping Era Media Regulation
- VGSSIG Annual Meeting, 5:45pm – 7:30pm in Ballard
- VGSSIG Social: Drinks at Optimism Brewery, 1158 Broadway, Seattle, Washington 98122 (15 minute walk from the conference hotel)
Sunday, March 17
- S19, 9am – 10:45am: Seminar – Toys and Tabletop Games: Mediating the Material and Materializing Media
- ★ T16, 11:30am – 1:15pm: Historicizing Digitization: Practices, Interfaces, and Peripherals
- U3, 1:30pm – 3:15pm: Media Industries: Text and Paratext